Downtown Development District Home Performance with ENERGY STAR
Do you live in a residential or mixed residential-commercial property* in one of Delaware’s Downtown Development Districts? If so, you could be eligible for significant rebates for energy efficiency improvements and get a home energy assessment for just $50!
Energize Delaware’s Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program takes a whole-house approach to improving your home’s comfort, energy efficiency, durability and safety. Rather than focusing on a single problem, such as an inefficient heating and cooling system or drafty windows, the program looks at how improvements throughout your home can work together to make your entire space more comfortable and energy efficient, and save you money. Learn what this program can do for you, by calling 302-524-1339.
Having trouble finding your account number? Click on your provider below to find your account number on your bill:
If you have already completed an audit and are looking to inquire about additional rebates please visit our page for returning customers.
Benefits of Participating
- Get a comprehensive home energy assessment—plus a variety of energy saving products installed—for just $50 (up to a $600 value including direct installs at assessment).
- Take advantage of rebates that can cover a significant percentage of the energy saving upgrades.
- For low-interest loans, up to $30,000, at 5.99% APR for terms of up to 10 years, are available to qualifying homeowners for energy saving improvements. Apply online or call (877) 453-2327. For more information, download our Home Energy Efficiency Loan Program Brochure.
- Enjoy improved comfort, increased energy efficiency and lower monthly energy costs after your home energy assessment and completion of the recommended home upgrades.
Building Type Qualifications
Participation requires a qualifying home energy assessment, which results in a prioritized scope of work. A test-out conducted by the participating contractor will be required to verify the proper installation of the proposed energy-saving measures and safety of the property before any rebates will be paid. Qualifications for mixed residential-commercial properties include the number of units totaling 4 or fewer, and the commercial space equaling 2,500 square feet or less. For projects that include commercial spaces, you may need to apply separately through the Energy Efficiency Investment Fund program.
Residences and mixed-use buildings—defined as those that have both commercially and residentially metered spaces—are eligible for the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program within designated Delaware Downtown Development Districts in the following cities:
Available Rebate Types
After your Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® assessment is complete, your program-approved contractor will recommend a variety of energy efficiency improvements for your home that may qualify for significant rebates.
SEALING AIR LEAKS & ADDING INSULATION
Excessive air leaks allow costly conditioned air to escape from your home. Your contractor or Energy Advisor may recommend sealing air leaks to keep your conditioned air in your home and keep the outside air out. Many older homes are poorly insulated or have no insulation at all. Properly installed insulation provides more even temperatures throughout the house and results in a quieter, more comfortable living environment that is less costly to heat and cool.
ENSURING ADEQUATE VENTILATION
Ventilation, or the exchange of indoor air with outdoor air, is critical to reducing indoor air pollutants, moisture and odors in your home. Without proper ventilation, contaminants such as formaldehyde or other volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and radon can cause health problems, while excess moisture can lead to mold growth and physical damage to your home. To ensure the health and safety of the occupants, the program requires mechanical ventilation to be installed as deemed appropriate by your participating contractor.
SEALING AND INSULATING DUCTWORK
Many homes have leaky ductwork and poor airflow resulting in uncomfortable rooms. Your contractor or Energy Advisor may recommend sealing and/or insulating your home’s air duct distribution system. Sealing and/or insulating ductwork spaces can reduce energy usage and increase your home’s overall comfort.
IMPROVING HEATING & COOLING SYSTEMS
If your heat pump, furnace or air conditioner is more than 10 years old, your contractor or Energy Advisor may recommend replacing it with a properly-sized unit that is ENERGY STAR® certified. When installed correctly, high-efficiency units can help you save on heating and cooling costs. They also can make your home more comfortable year-round by providing more consistent indoor temperatures and better humidity control.
TESTING COMBUSTION & SAFETY
Your contractor or Energy Advisor will test the combustion equipment in your home, such as your furnace and hot water heater, to ensure that they operate and vent properly. In addition, the contractor will conduct a carbon monoxide reading on natural gas ovens and other areas to further test the safety of your home.
PRODUCT UPGRADES DURING ASSESSMENT
During the assessment your contractor or Energy Advisor will install up to $200 worth of energy-saving products in your home at no additional cost including:
- Energy-efficient light bulbs, with options formidable, candelabra, globe and LED light bulbs
- Faucet aerators
- Efficient-flow fixed shower heads
- SmartStart™ shower valve
- Water heater pipe insulation (Installed on first four feet of hot water pipe only)
Rebate Eligible Measures
Rebates are available for property owners, including rental property owners, who complete an energy audit conducted by a program-approved auditor/contractor. The property owner and their selected program-approved auditor/contractor must review the energy audit report which details a prioritized list of energy improvements/upgrades. After this review, the selected program-approved auditor/contractor will make a rebate reservation on behalf of the property owner to secure the rebates for the selected rebate-eligible work. Property owner must receive a rebate reservation confirmation before beginning any work.
- Rebates are capped at 50% of the total installed cost up to the incentive level indicated; whichever is lower.
- Rebates are subject to change and are not guaranteed until a rebate reservation is confirmed.
- Rebate payments can take up to six weeks to be processed for payment to either the homeowner or the contractor.
- Excludes geothermal heat pumps. Visit dnrec.delaware.gov for more information on available geothermal heat pump rebates through Delaware’s Green Energy Program.
Rebate Reservation System
Before the job is started:
- Your contractor must submit an online rebate application using the Program Application Center and upload the completed audit report, signed contract with scope of work details and signed Energize Delaware Terms and Conditions.
- Upon approval, Energize Delaware will provide a reservation confirmation email to you and your contractor. Rebates cannot be guaranteed until you receive a reservation confirmation email.
After the job is complete:
- Your contractor must submit documentation of the completed project within 90 days of the reservation confirmation, including a final invoice marked “paid in full.”
- You can call the Energize Delaware Home Performance Call Center at 877-524-1339 to ask about the status of your application.
- Residential properties located in Delaware containing 4 or less units per building are eligible. Condos and apartments are not eligible.
- To participate in the program, property owner must receive a home energy audit conducted by an approved Energize Delaware auditor/contractor or Energy Advisor.
- Rebates are available for installation of qualified energy improvements/upgrades by program-approved contractors (this is not a DIY program – rebates are not awarded for self-installed upgrades).
- Property owner must receive a rebate reservation confirmation to be eligible for any rebates under this program. DO NOT begin any rebate-eligible upgrades until you have received this rebate reservation confirmation by email.
- Your program-approved auditor/contractor must submit documentation of your completed rebate-eligible upgrades to the Energize Delaware Home Performance program within 90 days of your rebate reservation confirmation else your rebate reservation will expire.
Rebates listed below are valid from 1/1/19 through 12/31/19.
View Incentive Amounts
|Measure||Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®||Assisted Home Performance & Downtown Development District Rebates|
|Assessment Customer Incentive||75% up to $300||75% up to $350|
|Customer Co-Pay for Assessment||$100||$50|
|Weatherization Measures||Incentives Are 50% Up To Listed Cap||Incentives Are 75% Up To Listed Cap|
|Air Sealing 20% Improvement||$700||$800|
|Air Sealing 30% Improvement||$950||$1,150|
|Air Sealing 40% Improvement||$1,100||$1,350|
|Duct Sealing 20% Improvement||$500||$600|
|Add R-19 Attic Insulation||$900||$1,100|
|Add R-30 Attic Insulation||$1,000||$1,200|
|Wall Insulation (min 50% of walls)||$1,600||$2,100|
|HVAC and Water Heating||Incentives Are 50% Up To Listed Cap||Incentives Are 75% Up To Listed Cap|
|Heat Pumps Tier 1 (=>16 SEER and =>12.5 EER and =>8.5 HSPF or =>2.5 COP)||$600||$900|
|Heat Pumps Tier 2 (=>17 SEER and =>12.5 EER and =>9.0 HSPF or =>2.6 COP)||$800||$1,200|
|Mini-Split HP (=>17 SEER and =>12.5 EER and => 9.0 HSPF or =>2.6 COP)||$400||$900|
|Mini-Split HP (=>21 SEER and =>12.5 EER and => 10.0 HSPF or =>2.9 COP)||$600||$1,000|
|CAC Tier 1 (=>16 SEER and =>12.5 EER)||$500||$900|
|CAC Tier 2 (=>17 SEER and =>12.5 EER)||$650||$1,000|
|Furnace Tier 1 (94+AFUE w/ECM Blower)||$500||$900|
|Furnace Tier 2 (96+AFUE w/ECM Blower)||$650||$1,000|
|Heat Pump Water Heater||$750||$900|
|Tankless Water Heater (Gas/Propane)||$600||$800|
|ENERGY STAR® Certified Smart Thermostat||$150||$200|
|Direct Vent LP/NG Water Heater (≤55 gallons: EF ≥ 0.67 & UEF ≥ 0.64 / >55 gallons: EF ≥ 0.67 & UEF ≥ 0.85)||$100||$150|
|Condensing Boiler with On-Demand Hot Water (90+ AFUE)||$1,000||$1,200|
|Mechantical Ventilation Equipment (ERV/HRV/Continuous Exhaust) *One rebate per home on total cost of applicable ventilation upgrades.||$300||$500|
|Hybrid Heat Pump & Furnace System Tier 1 (≥16 SEER and ≥12.5 EER and ≥8.5 HSPF or ≥2.5 COP) and (94+AFUE w/ECM)||$1,000||$1,200|
|Hybrid Heat Pump & Furnace System Tier 2 (≥17 SEER and ≥12.5 EER and ≥9.0 HSPF or ≥2.6 COP) and (96+AFUE w/ECM)||$1,300||$1,500|
Five simple steps to higher energy efficiency
Your participating contractor will use state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment and may conduct special tests to identify the energy-saving improvements that best fit your unique home and budget:
- A blower door test uses the combination of pressure and airflow measurements to calculate your home’s air leakage.
- A thermographic camera uses infrared sensors to assess the effectiveness of your home’s insulation. This evaluation also helps identify air leakages throughout your home during the blower door test
- Combustion analysis detects inefficient equipment that may need service or replacement. Various safety tests detect carbon monoxide and/or gas leaks in your home.
During the assessment your contractor or Energy Advisor will provide and install the up to $200 worth of energy-saving measures in your home at no additional cost (with your permission). These measures include the following:
- Energy-efficient light bulbs, with options for dimmable, candelabra, and globe
- Faucet aerators
- Efficient-flow fixed showerheads
- Water heater pipe insulation (installed on hot and cold pipes for four feet from water heater, as accessible
Review the Home Energy Assessment Summary Report with your contractor or Energy Advisor. Determine which improvements you would like to make and ask your contractor or Energy Advisor about available rebates.
Sign an agreement with the contractor you have selected. If needed, an Energize Delaware Energy Advisor can help you review the agreement before signing. Your contractor will then submit your rebate application with a copy of your signed agreement to begin the rebate incentive application process with Energize Delaware.
Note: Your contractor will ask for your electric account number to facilitate any applicable rebate reservations.
The contractor will install the contracted energy efficiency improvements then perform final safety and health tests. You and the contractor are required to sign a Certificate of Completion. At this time, payment for services is due to your contractor.
For low-interest loans, up to $30,000, at 5.99% APR for terms of up to 10 years, are available to qualifying homeowners for energy saving improvements. Apply online or call (877) 453-2327. For more information, download our Home Energy Efficiency Loan Program Brochure.
Once the final completed application is submitted by your contractor and approved, you will receive your rebate check within 4 to 6 weeks.