In addition to changing incandescent bulbs to ENERGY STAR® qualified CFLs, you can look for light fixtures that have also earned the ENERGY STAR. All types of fixtures have earned the government’s label for energy efficiency, and qualified fixtures offer all the decorative and functional options you desire in your home. Look for the ENERGY STAR on table and floor lamps, ceiling fixtures, pendant fixtures, recessed cans, and ceiling fans.
Qualified models use both fluorescent and LED technology, and offer several benefits:
- Use 75 percent less energy than traditional lighting.
- Save money on energy bills and bulb replacements, since bulbs must last at least 10,000 hours (about seven years of regular use).
- Distribute light more efficiently and evenly than standard fixtures.
- Come in hundreds of decorative styles, including both portable fixtures (table, desk and floor lamps) and hard-wired options (such as front porch, dining room, kitchen ceiling and under-cabinet, hallway ceiling and wall, bathroom vanity fixtures)
- Deliver convenient features such as dimming, automatic daylight shut-off, and motion sensors on outdoor models.
- Carry a 2 year warranty — double the industry standard.